Ipoh High Court is one of three colonial area public building designed by well known British Architect Arthur Benison Hubback which are clustered close together. The other two buildings are Ipoh Town Hall and Ipoh Railway Station.
About Ipoh High Court
Ipoh High Court was completed in 1928, which was several years after Ipoh Railway Station (1917) and Ipoh Town Hall (1916) were completed and some 14 years after Architect A.B Hubbuck left Malaysia to join the British Army to fight World War 1. A.B Hubbuck held the position of chief draughtsman of the Selangor public works department during the time of British colonial rule. His most famous designs were for buildings in Kuala Lumpur such as the old Kuala Lumpur Railway Station and the Jamek Mosque near Merdeka Square, as well as the very grand Ipoh Railway Station on the other side of the road from Ipoh High Court.
Ipoh High Court
The design of Ipoh High Court is different to most of the other buildings for which A.B Hubback is most famous as the architectural style is late Edwardian Neo-Baroque. The work he is best known for is designed in the Indo-Saracenic architectural style which fuses Indian architectural features with those of the buildings associated with the Empire of the Moors in North Africa and Southern Spain. Unfortunately, visitors are not permitted inside the High Court unless they are lawyers, police officers, judicial staff or have the misfortune of being party to one of the cases being heard at the Court.
Location of Ipoh High Court
Ipoh High Court is located at Jalan Panglima Bukit Gantang Wahab, 31650 Ipoh, Negeri Perak, Malaysia.